Monday, December 9, 2013

My First 5K!


Happy Monday :)

This weekend was exciting because I FINALLY got to run my first 5K! My first was supposed to be in October, but it got rescheduled until March next year, so I was super excited to be able to do this one. It was the Ugly Sweater Dash 5K in Pleasanton. It is considered a "fun run" because they don't time you, and you can choose to walk it if you like. Since it was my first time participating in a race, I wanted to do my best and time myself to get a starting point and see where I can improve for next time.



 I set a goal for myself of finishing in under 40 minutes, at about a 12.5 minute mile, which is the pace I have been lately.  I came in well under that at 35 minutes! I was so thrilled with my results, and I'm excited to keep training and beat my time for the next race!

Since this was my first race, I had no clue about preparation, or what to eat the night before/morning up to the race. I looked to the advice of my friends who had competed in races before and they gave me wonderful advice. They suggested I have some carbs the night before, so my dinner consisted of quinoa fusilli pasta, with a light tomato sauce and mixed vegetables. Super easy, simple, and very filling. The morning of the race I had some old fashioned rolled oats with a bit of agave, 1/2 a banana and a piece of Ezekiel toast. This was the PERFECT amount of food to have because I was totally satisfied, and had the energy to make it through the whole race, and  even went a bit faster than I normally do!

I'm so grateful to have a group of women who are on the same journey to health and fitness as I am. They provide unconditional support, motivation and love and are a crucial part to my success! Just wanted to give a shout out to them for being amazing ladies!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment