Monday, January 6, 2014

The Blonde Vegan 5-Day Cleanse: Day 1

Hello!

Today is the first day of The Blonde Vegan's 5-Day Cleanse program! (check it out here: http://www.theblondevegan.com/2013/12/15/the-blonde-vegan-5-day-cleanse-is-here/ ) The cleanse is entirely vegan and raw, consisting of one smoothie, two juices, a salad, and an entrĂ©e using only fruits and vegetables. This is actually the first cleanse I have ever done, so I'm excited to see what kind of results I will see by the end of it. I'm also super grateful that my carnivorous boyfriend will be participating on the cleanse with me! Just one more way he is showing his support for this lifestyle change :)
Yesterday I spent the majority of the day shopping at Whole Foods and Sprouts for all of the ingredients I needed. Thankfully, the cleanse comes with a shopping list which makes that task a whole lot easier. For the both of us I spent around $150, which is right in line with her numbers as well. (She said it would be around $70 per person) Then I washed and cut all of my fruits and veggies for the smoothie and juice and sealed them in a plastic bag so that this morning I could throw them in the blender and the juicer and save some time. I have an 8-5 job so I definitely needed to have these prepped and ready to take with me this morning for work!

Right now I'm on my second juice of the day, and I have nothing but good things to say so far.
My first smoothie today set the tone for the rest of the meals in my opinion: delicious! It contained strawberries, bananas, mint, and kale; the mint gave it an excellent flavor.
Next was the green juice. I typically have to choke down green juices (I think its the celery, yuck!), but the added ginger and lemon in this one really balanced the celery out and gave it a pleasant flavor. I won't say that I love it, but it was MUCH better than green juices I have encountered in the past.
Lunch was the most delicious salad I think I have ever had in my entire life. The mixture of greens, fruits, and nuts was so complementary, and I wish I had more of it!
My last juice today is really simple; just water, lemon juice and cayenne. I wasn't too sure how I would feel about it, but it is actually really refreshing and light.
Dinner tonight will be a raw vegetable soup. I am nervous for this as I have never eaten such a thing in my whole life, so it will be interesting to see how the boyfriend and I like it. He has enjoyed the juices and smoothies from today so far as well.

I will update tomorrow about how the rest of the night goes, but for right now I feel great! My energy has been consistent all day, and I haven't felt starved or unsatisfied at all. Tonight I plan to wash and cut all of the ingredients for my juices and smoothies for tomorrow so I can easily prepare them like I did for this morning's recipes.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! That's so much prep. You're very committed and that's fantastic. I still can't get over the bf doing it too...what a supportive man you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, it is much more work than I was originally anticipating! Thank you though :) I'm pretty excited that tomorrow is the last day :P So is the boy. haha he's being a good sport though!

    ReplyDelete