Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A juice a day...

As many of you know, I was able to make the trip to Connecticut over the weekend to say goodbye to my Grandma as well as meet most of my Dad's side of the family. I knew that my Grandma had been living with diabetes for quite some time, but I had no idea how prominent it was within the rest of the family as well. Come to find out, several other family members are also living with Type 2 Diabetes.  Not only that, my Mother's side of the family also has a history of diabetes.
 
Finding out this information brought me back to when I was in elementary school. I can't recall exactly how old I was, but I remember this one particular doctor's visit well. I was in for a routine check up, and it was no secret that I was overweight. I could hear the doctor telling my mom that I was on the borderline for developing diabetes. The weight of that statement did not have the effect on me then as it would today. Shortly after, we met with a dietician who gave us guidelines as to what I should be eating on a daily basis. I can remember logging everything I ate for the next couple of weeks to show my doctor on my next visit. Apparently, after a while of doing this I was in the clear because nothing ever came of it even though I was still overweight.


Fast forward to the beginning of 2012. At 22 years old I was at my heaviest, weighing 243 lbs. I noticed my left foot had become swollen, and I developed a dull ache in my entire leg up to my thigh. I hadn't injured myself so I was completely baffled as to why this was happening. The internet was my worst enemy because when I Googled my symptoms, it pointed to terrifying outcomes like a blood clot, or I'm sure you can guess it, diabetes. After a few doctor's visits and an ultrasound in my leg, I was diagnosed with a peripheral venous insufficiency.

What that means is:
"Your arteries carry blood from your heart out to the rest of your body. Your veins carry blood back to the heart, and valves in the veins stop the blood from flowing back. When your veins have trouble sending blood from your limbs back to the heart, it is called venous insufficiency (VI). In this condition, blood does not flow back properly to the heart, causing blood to pool in your legs."


The pooling of blood in my leg is what was causing the swelling and pain. I was told my options were to lose weight which would help the symptoms, or surgically block off that vein. This was my rock bottom. I knew right then and there things had to change. I started a diet program and successfully lost 40lbs. When I found Tone It Up in May of 2013, I was inspired to not only lose the rest of my weight, but to do it in the most healthy way I can.

This weekend was a huge reminder to me of one of the most important reasons that I need to stay healthy. I absolutely have no plans for developing diabetes, and I am going to do everything in my power to avoid it. I decided I want to challenge myself by drinking one green juice every day. Juicing is such a fantastic and delicious way to deliver a megadose of vitamins and minerals to your body. It combats illness and is a great way to facilitate weight loss as well. However, juicing isn't a quick fix-all solution to any problem. I fully believe that juicing combined with a plant-based diet and regular exercise will provide me with the health benefits that I seek.

What is your story? What kinds of ailments have you been able to overcome, or are on your way to overcoming with a healthy diet?



6 comments:

  1. I'm SO proud of you for sharing this story! And I'm so thankful to have you on this journey... you're such an inspiration, and I know you are going to make the most of your situation and become the healthiest person you can be. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! You inspire me every day :)

      Delete
  2. Such an inspiring story - proud of you for taking control of your health! And coincidentally I try to drink a green juice or a veggie juice every day too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was a good idea!! Haha, thank you so much <3

      Delete
  3. You rock Melissa! Thank you for sharing the story. I am ableto relate with type 2 running in the family. I too had the same conversation with my doctor when I was younger. That is why I started playing more sports. When I stopped in college and stressed out more I put on a lot of weight. I noticed my therapy, my stress reliever was eating food so I would overeat. I am making baby steps now today to become healthier. Yoga really helps me deal with stress, helps me focus and the overall philosophy of honoring your body to keep me in check with what I eat. I notice the most effective is having a social support system. I suport you in pursuing a healthier llifestyle and you inspire me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda! Your continued support means the absolute world to me, and you know I totally support you in your journey as well! I would love to get more into yoga, let's find a studio next time you're in town :)

      Delete